banana peels, 1 kg
water, 8 cup
sugar, 1½ cup
baker’s yeast, ½ teaspoon, wine yeast rather
vinegar starter, 1 cup
Materials and Equipment:
wide-mouthed glass jars
1. Slice a kilo of banana peel, add four cups water, then boil.
2. Extract the juice, decant and filter through cheesecloth.
3. Add four cups water, 1 ½ cups sugar. Mix thoroughly and pasteurize for 10-15 minutes at 60-65ºC.
4. Transfer into sterilized container, half-filled.
5. Cool, then add ½ tsp baker’s yeast for every eight cups mixture. Allow to ferment for 7-8 days.
6. Decant/siphon to separate sediments, dead yeast and pulp.
7. Add once cup vinegar starter for every four cups liquid. Cover with clean cloth/paper.
8. Allow to ferment at room temperature for 2-3 weeks or until a sour a sour vinegar odor is evident. Decant to separate the sediments.
9. Transfer vinegar to bottles and pasteurize. Age for a month or more to allow delicate flavor development.