Its a leche flan gelatin, a mixture of leche flan and gelatin. Its not a pure leche flan, the sweet, yummy and mouth watering dessert. It can mimic the real thing with the right presentation. I was not given the right to make proper presentation cause this little thing was the only left for me.
My auntie gave it to us. Her daughter prepared this low-cost alternative.
Whenever I attend any celebration like fiesta, birthday, baptismal, weddings and anniversaries, I am always looking for one thing. Everyone will say, “WOW!” when this dessert in on buffet table. Menudo, mechado, curry, pininyahang manok and kare-kare might have leftover after the occasion but every serving of this dessert will never last a minute. The dessert is non other done leche flan.
As time goes by, less and less people are preparing leche flan. I cannot remember the last time I have eaten some. Oh my! What could be the reasons?
1) A recipe needs 12 eggs, only egg yolks. The whites are not needed. What are they going to do with lots of egg whites? Fried eggs whites are not tasty. Whites can be included but this will result in a bubbly and rough appearance.
2) Needs 2 cans condensed milk and five cans evaporated milk (medium cans). Seven milk cans can hurt pocket.
3) The materials mentioned in 1 and 2 will only yield 4-5 llanera. As I mentioned above, one llanera will never last a minute on buffet table. The celebrant wants the food to last to the very last visitor.
To sum up, cooking leche flan is very expensive. Preparing the leche tin instead will save a lot of cash.
1) Measure one liter water. It can be increased up to 1.4 liters but I opt for one cause I want a firmer texture.
2) Add one pack gelatin powder (approximately 24 grams) gradually with constant stirring. I am using Mr. Gulaman jelly powder mix.
3) Dissolve all powder, add three whole eggs and 1/4 kg sugar. Stir gently until homogeneous.
4) Bring the mixture to a near boil and pour in llanera. Allow to cool.
5) To serve: Remove from tray and place on serving plate. Pour caramelized sugar on top to mimic the leche plan appearance.
Amount of sugar and eggs can be adjusted.