- Fresh apples of the green variety, if possible (Grand Smith): 20 kg.
- Cinnamon or clove: optional
Materials and equipment
- Aluminium pot with lid.
- Boards for cutting the fruit.
- 250 or 500 g jars with screw-band lids.
- Kitchen utensils: wooden spoon, knives, funnel, skimmer, wooden chopping blocks, an assortment of plastic containers, kitchen cloths.
- Clothbag for the sterilization of jars (optional).
- Source of heat.
- Wash the fruits in drinking water.
- Blanch the fruits whole (the smallest) or in halves (the larger ones) for 10-15 minutes until they become softer.
- Cool the fruits partially and cut them in small pieces.
- Put the pieces through the pulper.
- Weigh the pulp.
- Heat the pulp, with or without cinnamon, in a pot until its volume is reduced by half. Use a wooden spoon to stir the mixture every now and then, to make sure that it does not stick to the pan.
- Pack the concentrated pulp in the jars, previously cleaned and sterilized with boiling water, making sure that they are filled to the brim with the pulp still hot. -
- Seal the jars.
- Sterilize the jars in boiling water for 15 minutes.
- Cool the jars with a jet of cold water, making sure that they do not break.
- Dry the jars and screw the lid on more tightly.
- Label and store.