This is an extension and a modified version of sweetened santol peels, the sweetened dried santol peels or the santol peels candy.
Step by step…
1) Wash santol. This is necessary cause the rough outer skin will be included. Wash thoroughly to remove all adhering dirts.
2) Cut to halves taking care not to cut the seeds. Santol seeds are extremely bitter. Chewing such was one of the punishment during our COCC ROTC training. I guessed it’s not poisonous cause all of us are still alive and kicking.
3) Scoop out the seeds and the soft part of the rind. Use it for making santol enzyme or santol wine.
4) Soak the rind in clean water to prevent too much browning reaction. Slice it thinly, about three to five millimeter thick to facilitate rapid sugar absorption during cooking.
5) In a pan, add 500 ml water, 250 grams brown sugar and 250 grams sliced peels. Let boil over low flame for 40 minutes or until half part of the rind become translucent. The part starting from rough outer skin toward the middle is harder. More time is needed for sugar to penetrate this part.
6) Drain excess syrup. Arrange the slices in trays and dry under the sun for two to three days.
The excess syrup has sweet and sour taste. Use it for:
a) juice – as sweetener for other fruit juice or just dilute it with enough water to achieve the right blend.
b) cooking second batch – Get the soluble solid reading before and after cooking. Do the MATH and adjust accordingly.
and c) …