My friend is about to bite her favorite chocolate bar when a loud screeching noise butted in. To her shock, the chocolate bar slipped of her fingers and fell to polished floor. She could not afford to loose the last piece so she picked it up immediately and said, “Ooopps, five seconds have not passed yet. Microorganisms got scared and ran away. I need to pick it up before they come back”.
Some of us are picking up fallen food items but the action vary depending on ground state. We tend to pick up food items on clean floors such as linoleum, vinyl, tiles, smooth granite and marble. We discard the fact that they might contain unimaginable number of harmful bacteria. Obviously we reject those with visible dirts.
The practice should not be done wherever the food item is fallen. According to studies, a piece of bread and bologna left on various surface for five seconds and picked up contain 150 to 8,000 bacteria. Enough reason to be scared cause ten Salmonella bacteria are enough to make a person sick.
Picking up fallen food items is common to babies and toddles. It is normal because they are not aware of the hazards of doing so. Parents and guardian must keep an eye on them to prevent the bad practice.
We must practice cleanliness and care in handling foods we eat. We must assure that they are always clean and safe to eat but a portion of our population cannot do it. They have no enough money to buy and prepare clean foods. They need to sort out garbage in order to find some food to eat. Foods from garbage might have millions to billions of bacteria cause it has been there for considerable amount of time. A single bite might be enough to send anyone to hospital.